Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Review of Scarlet by Marissa Meyer + Audiobook Clip


Scarlet (Lunar Chronicles, #2)SCARLET (#2)
By: Marissa Meyer
Review by: Kaede
Release Date: February 5th, 2013 

Publisher: Feiwel and Friends
Pages: 452
Format: Hardcover
Source: Bought

 
Cinder, the cyborg mechanic, returns in the second thrilling installment of the bestselling Lunar Chronicles. She's trying to break out of prison—even though if she succeeds, she'll be the Commonwealth's most wanted fugitive.

Halfway around the world, Scarlet Benoit's grandmother is missing. It turns out there are many things Scarlet doesn't know about her grandmother or the grave danger she has lived in her whole life. When Scarlet encounters Wolf, a street fighter who may have information as to her grandmother's whereabouts, she is loath to trust this stranger, but is inexplicably drawn to him, and he to her. As Scarlet and Wolf unravel one mystery, they encounter another when they meet Cinder. Now, all of them must stay one step ahead of the vicious Lunar Queen Levana, who will do anything for the handsome Prince Kai to become her husband, her king, her prisoner.
I've been fairly certain for some time now that Meyer's retellings cannot be reproduced - with all of it's captivating characters and the futuristic world it is set in. Before I began Scarlet, I had realized that there was so much story that could be told in the Lunar Chronicles series. But I also wondered if perhaps there'd be too much story to be told, that the older characters might fade into the backgrounds as the new ones took the stage. However, as far as I could see with Scarlet, Meyer had no problem in making both Cinder's and Scarlet's story equally as prominent and likable in their own ways.

While Cinder started off a bit unsure of herself because of what she is, Scarlet is fierce and determined. She has her goal - to rescue her grandmother - and she'll do everything she can to see it through. Brave and just maybe a little bit deadly, I found myself really drawn to Scarlet's loyalty, and just her character in general. 

Queen Levana is still somebody you hate to love and love to hate. She is so evil and corrupted, and I just wanted somebody to wave that magic wand and make her disappear. We do meet a few new characters though, such as Thorne, that I did like and were quite comedic and entertaining. 

For those of you who are unaware, I love my romance as much as I love a good plot. That's why with Kai and Cinder separated, I missed a lot of their chemistry in Cinder, and looked to Wolf and Scarlet to fill that void. Honestly, it is possible not to love Wolf? He's that bad boy you won't be able to resist, with his charismatic personality and extremely good looks. However, Wolf is also caring on top of mysterious, which only increases my love that much more. 

To give you that final push you need to finally pick up Scarlet, the story is also set in France! Guaranteed to leave you wanting more, I'm extremely excited to see where the characters go next on their journey and down with Queen Levana. Here is one story (and one very charmingly hot guy) you won't want to miss! 



Macmillan was extremely kind enough to provide a clip from the audiobook of Scarlet for all you lovely readers out there! If you enjoyed it, I've also included a link to the Audible page where you can purchase the full edition! Don't forget to share the love in the comments! 


Purchase SCARLET by Marissa Meyer on Audible


5 coffee cups!

~♥~


Contact Kaede: 
Email: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
Goodreads: Kaede
Twitter: Kami178xx









2 comments:

  1. Your review is awesome! I loved both these books too!

    Thanks for the awesome review! The more blogs I visit the more I want to start blogging

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I love the Lunar Chronicles series as well, and can't wait for the rest of it to be released! *will slowly die until the next one*

      Blogging is a great experience, and if you would like to try it out, I would say go for it! It is a lot of fun, but there also needs to be a lot of effort and time put into your blog to maintain it so that it's the best it can be. If you do decide to become a blogger, I would love it if you'd let me know so I can stop by and say hi! :D

      Delete