Sunday, May 26, 2013

ARC Review of Hopeless by Colleen Hoover


Hopeless (Hopeless, #1)
HOPELESS
By: Colleen Hoover
Review by: Kaede
Release Date: May 7th, 2013

Publisher: Atria Books
Pages: 416
Format: e-ARC
Source: NetGalley (Thank you, Atria Books!) 

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Sometimes discovering the truth can leave you more hopeless than believing the lies…
That’s what seventeen-year-old Sky realizes after she meets Dean Holder. A guy with a reputation that rivals her own and an uncanny ability to invoke feelings in her she’s never had before. He terrifies her and captivates her all in the span of just one encounter, and something about the way he makes her feel sparks buried memories from a past that she wishes could just stay buried.
Sky struggles to keep him at a distance knowing he’s nothing but trouble, but Holder insists on learning everything about her. After finally caving to his unwavering pursuit, Sky soon finds that Holder isn’t at all who he’s been claiming to be. When the secrets he’s been keeping are finally revealed, every single facet of Sky’s life will change forever.
Hopeless is an exceptional novel, even among the vast realm that is New Adult.  As Colleen Hoover spins a compelling story through Sky, she explores and puts to full use the idea that not everyone and not everything is always as it seems. 

I mentioned countless times before that New Adult is extremely hit-or-miss with me, and so Hopeless pleasantly surprised me, managing to surpass my already high expectations. 

I really liked Sky's character. There was something about her that seemed so familiar that I took an instant liking to her. (Oh no. Am I experiencing symptoms of the much dreaded insta-love? o_o OH C'MON, ME. This might be a problem...DON'T TELL MY MOM!) I found her reactions, as a girl sheltered from technology for a long time, seeing an e-reader for the first time quite amusing in a very good way. And as for Sky's dearest friend who got her said e-reader, can you like be my BFFFL toooo? I also really liked Sky's attitude, and that she wasn't affected by the stupid post-its she received on her locker. 

Six started off fairly prominent in the beginning that began slowly fading away as the story progressed, which made me sad because I really liked Sky. And one thing I noticed - Sky may not have a hundred friends, but the ones she does have are extremely generous and gifty. (Like a certain somebody I know. *cough* Eileen. *cough* I hope she doesn't read this...) Not only does Sky get a e-reader, but Six gives her a phone too! I WANT HER FRIENDS. Romantic relationship wise, I thought Holder and Sky fit really well together. I was slightly wary at first, but I did find Holder funny and eventually he won me over. There's nothing like a negative text message to balance an extremely positive one and inflate an ego or two! 

Hopeless intertwined mystery, romance, humor, and shocking revelations that'll have you keep on turning those pages. Hoover has a compelling writing style, and a talent for creating characters and throwing in little details that end playing a huge part. Finally, if nothing else, I would highly encourage reading Hopeless and ignore no information Colleen Hoover gives you. I thought I had it all figured out, and well....I kinda maybe didn't. MAYBE. I SWEARRRR I'M SMART MOST OF THE TIME. 


4 coffee cups!


**An advance copy of this book was provided  for review. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.**

~♥~



Contact Kaede: 
Email: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
Goodreads: Kaede
Twitter: Kami178xx






1 comment:

  1. Like I said on Twitter, which so cruelly threw me into Twitter jail, THANKS A LOT TWITTER I THOUGHT WE WERE FRIENDS, I am starting this one sometime soon so I really don't want to read any reviews because of my weird policy, BUT I think you liked this one?

    But I'm 100% positive your review was awesome, even though I only read the last few paragraphs <333 OF COURSE YOU ARE SMART!!

    ReplyDelete