Saturday, December 22, 2012

ARC Review of Crimson Frost by Jennifer Estep


Crimson Frost (Mythos Academy, #4)
Crimson Frost
By: Jennifer Estep
Review by: Kaede
Release Date: December 24, 2012

Publisher: Kensington
Pages: 354 (ARC); 384 (Finished Paperback)
Series: Mythos Academy (#4)
Format: Paperback ARC 
Source: Publisher (Thank you, Kensington Teen!)

Other Titles by the Author: Elemental Assassin Series

Buy the Book: Amazon
I should have known that my first official date with Logan Quinn was destined to end in disaster. If we’d gotten into a swordfight, or been ambushed by Reapers, I’d have been more prepared. But getting arrested mid-sip at the local coffee hangout? I didn’t see that one coming.
I’ve been accused of purposely helping the Reapers free Loki from his prison—and the person leading the charge against me is Linus Quinn, Logan’s dad. The worst part is that pretty much everyone at Mythos Academy thinks I’m guilty. If I’m going to get out of this mess alive, I’ll have to do it myself…
So rarely does a series leave me frustrated and wanting more, but Crimson Frost, the fourth novel in the Mythos Academy series, managed to accomplished both with ease.

With it's cast of vibrant and likable characters, Jennifer Estep has no problem capturing her readers' attention. Although these books aren't exactly thinly sized, I find myself flying through them and eagerly anticipating the next one. All the Mythos Academy books are what I call perfect slump-breakers.

Have you ever found yourself sitting down with a book, or two, or a stack, and nothing seems to interest you? Are all your most anticipated books suddenly not doing it for you? Do you not feel like re-reading your all time favorites, and rather set on trying something new? 

Haven't read the urban fantasy Mythos Academy series? Then there's your key! Go on and pick the first one up! Available in all retail book stores. 

Dang, I'd do great trying to sell cheap, lame, and over-exaggerated products (although Crimson Frost is far from that) to unexpected customers. Perhaps someone should consider hiring me to make advertisements. There's a catch though. I'd probably suck, actually, and try to rip you off.

But in all seriousness, Crimson Frost was impressively impressive, in more then one way. I found that while reading, I realized that characters I've been with for a while have grown into splendid individuals, each gifted with their own irreplaceable talents.

Gwen, our main character, definitely didn't start off the series as the person she becomes in Crimson Frost. Gwen didn't give me a particularly bad impression, in fact, it was far from that. But she didn't seem like blow-me-away-amazing quality. Just a solid heroine who makes mistakes and takes a bit of time to fully realize the consequences of her actions. But I saw definite potential in not only Gwen, but every character - friend or foe. And with confidence, I can clearly say that my trust in what I believed would be a fantastic and fun series was not misplaced.

With all the chaos and tension that surrounded the last few months of Gwen's life, I think it's pretty safe to say that a date with the one and only Logan Quinn in peace and quiet is definitely not a possibility for our darling protagonist. And it isn't. Right of the bat, Gwen finds herself arrested. And for a crime she didn't commit, no less.

And I know what you're thinking, my lovely reader.

"WHAT? SHE'S BEING ARRESTED? WHAT THE &!$#? ISN'T SHE THE GOOD GUY? WHAT'D SHE DO? TELL ME, I WANNA KNOW!"

Maybe without the excessive use of capital letters and censors, but I know you're thinking something along those lines. The Caps Lock key and bold formatting is what makes my life exciting though, so you'll have to suck it up and live with it.

Well, first of all, I'm not going to tell you what she did, just on the rare case that one of you, and I can't imagine why, haven't had the chance to read this series yet. And honestly, you have no excuse unless:

A) There is a giant lake with an unfed, hungry, savage alligator as it's resident, separating you from all options of bringing the books into your possession.
B) You spent all your money on failed attempts on winning the lotto and hitting the jackpot, which will ensure enough to spent for the rest of your life. But even so, there's this lovely thing call a library, you know? Which leads me to:
C) You not only spent all your money on lotto tickets, but your local library burned down. Because even if the books are out of stock or not in inventory, you can still politely ask the librarians there to order a copy, and see if they agree. I heard begging helps. And this is NOT from personal experience. Pfft. What? No way.
D) You live under a rock, or in a country where the licensing rights have not been purchased. In that case, I highly recommend high-tailing outta there and moving to a place where the publishing houses actually know what they're doing and what books will be a sure seller.
E) You're strapped to a chair, bound by duct-tape, and you're glued to the chair with ridiculously strong superglue. If this is your current situation, I do not recommend continuing reading this review but instead trying to get to the phone so you can call for immediate help. And then go buy the books.

But if you have to know, Gwen is the good guy. She isn't Miss Perfect Who Does Everything Right, but she has a good heart and the right intentions. It's not her fault that she was forced into freeing the most dangerous existence in history into the human world to cause destruction and damage.

With the opposite exterior but the same interior, we have bad boy Logan Quinn. Occupation: Being an extremely hot and badass Spartan. Logan is 110% swoon-worthy, and deep down inside, he's actually really thoughtful and caring. He masks his actual feelings with playboy actions and cold words, but you can tell he truly cares about Gwen and everyone he considers friends. Even if it's not crystal-clear apparent, he's loyal and is willingly to risk it all for someone he cares about. In some sense, he's the type of big brother that I'd be proud to have. Now if I only I could have an awesome big brother. I want a sibling so bad. IWANTIWANTIWANT.

The ending for Crimson Frost is heartbreaking, and just about teared me apart. But I understand how it could play a big part in how both Gwen and Logan grow even farther as individuals, and stronger together as a couple. Although must Midnight Frost's release date be so far away? I can see it, so near but so far away. *sniff*

If anything, I am definitely looking forward to continuing on with this series with these characters. I can't recommend this series highly enough. The Mythos Academy series is sure to appeal to a wide range of readers, with all it has to offer. May or may not include a really swoon-worthy boy to seal the deal.

5 coffee cups!

**An advance copy of this book was provided by the publisher for review. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.**



--

Add CRIMSON FROST to Goodreads
Find Jennifer Estep on Goodreads | Website | Twitter

--

~♥~


Review also found: Goodreads 

--

Contact Kaede: 
Email: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
Goodreads: Kaede
Twitter: Kami178xx



2 comments:

  1. block just exhilarating so c'est la vie. Get Accession here now and entire of toys when he came across a fleshlight. The fleshlight can be was gay. We pay for that more than naturalistic finger and got genuinely courageous. This means getting her hot with kisses, only a congratulatory Bosom.
    Also see my web page - artificial vagina

    ReplyDelete
  2. DUDE I NEED TO READ BOTH OF THESE BOOKS RIGHT NOW (DARK FROST AND CRIMSON FROST). I WANT IT SOOOOOOOO BAD IT SOUNDS AMAZING.

    BUT. Now I don't want to read it as much because you brought up Darry and Soda from The Outsiders. I'm reading that in my English class right now AND I SERIOUSLY HATE IT SO MUCH. It's so unrealistic and inconsistent and this is so off topic but I seriously don't understand.

    ANYHOO. Great review! Glad you lurved this one.

    ReplyDelete