Saturday, November 10, 2012

ARC Review of Speechless by Hannah Harrington



SpeechlessSpeechless
By: Hannah Harrington
Review by: Kaede

Publisher: HarlequinTeen
Pages: 288
Series: N/A
Source: ARC via Edelweiss






Everyone knows that Chelsea Knot can't keep a secret.

Until now. Because the last secret she shared turned her into a social outcast—and nearly got someone killed.

Now Chelsea has taken a vow of silence—to learn to keep her mouth shut, and to stop hurting anyone else. And if she thinks keeping secrets is hard, not speaking up when she's ignored, ridiculed and even attacked is worse.

But there's strength in silence, and in the new friends who are, shockingly, coming her way—people she never noticed before; a boy she might even fall for. If only her new friends can forgive what she's done. If only she can forgive herself.
"Words matter - how we use them and how we don't...At the end of the day you answer to yourself, no one else, so you'll be happy that you did."

One. Two. Three.

The seconds go by.

Four. Five. Six.

Minutes. Days. Weeks.

Chelsea Knot can not speak. Believing her silence will benefit everyone, and her voice no one, Chelsea sets out to undertake a vow of silence. Besides, who's going to miss the girl who was always a snobby bitch, who now adds traitor to her long list of hate-worthy traits. And after realizing how much she herself tormented other students without second doubt, Chelsea doesn't think taking the vicious attacks and vile comments from people she used to call "friends" is all that bad. Because there's no way anyone would ever want to talk to her again, much less be her friend...right?

After Ms. Harrington's debut, Saving June, I knew she was an author to look out for. I just didn't think Speechless was a novel for me. But oh, was I wrong. Honest to good, I remember thinking that the premises for Saving June and Speechless were cheesy and way too over done. And still, that distinction has not vanished yet. But Harrington is able to turn that cheesy idea of a novel into something good. Worthwhile.

Finishing Saving June a few months ago left me craving some more of Ms. Harrington's work, too prove that the potential I saw was not misleaded and undeserved. Speechless did just that. I hestiantly requested Speechless off of Edelweiss when I saw it was still available. I was able to hit that send button because I told myself to probability of acceptance was one out of ten.

Seems like miracles do happen, because here I am reviewing a book I never thought I'd read, much less love. And, oh, did I mention that I only had three hours of sleep today? Because this book is so damn good, I had to finish it and find out how things end. And I almost never do that. The book has to be really special for me to such a thing, since what time I have to sleep and not study is quite precious to me. And because I just like to sleep a lot. *shrugs*

Chelsea's character is a hard one to evaluate. I don't think I should just plainly state my likes and dislikes, because it just doesn't seem right. Chelsea is, well, refreshing. A character so real, I can't find the right words for. Getting to understand Chelsea and to walk with her through her story really brings back what it's like to escape to another story, another world. A book that really let's me lose sense of my surroundings and pretend I'm someone else. Someone who knows Chelsea and can treat her as a real person.

Chelsea isn't perfect. Two wrongs certainly do not make a right (unless we're talking multiplying negatives here, but still), and Chelsea is not without her mistakes. But at least she's able to find the courage to own up to them; something I think a lot of people, myself included, have yet to find the ability to do. I loved Sam and Asha, absolutely adored Andy and Noah, but most of all: I loved what they meant to Chelsea. They were her building blocks to a new start, something indispensable. I do find it hard to believe that people like this group of awesome friends actually exists, and have a much harder time believing that I'd ever come in contact with people who have such a good, unbreakable, connection to one another. But until I do, I'll keep hoping.

Oh, and, for fans of Saving June, did I mention Jake and Harper have a short scene in this? *SQUEALLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL*





It's a short scene , it really is. But it was more than enough for me to just know and have a confirmation that Harper and Jake's story didn't just end after the last page of their published tale.

As this memorable story proves, I'm certain Hannah Harrington is an author who's past and future works will stay with me for a long time.

This is a story that'll have you turning the pages wanting more, and even well the last page, it'll still leave you searching for more and speechless.

I have just one last thing to say:

Don't be afraid. Speak up.


5 coffee cups!

An advance copy was provided from the publisher for review via Edelweiss. However, all opinions remain honest and my own.

--

Contact Kaede: kimberlyho75@yahoo.com
*I get questions quite often asking if this is my personal email. It's not. It's just an old one I made when I was young. I might change this email soon, who knows? Would you guys prefer I use one along the lines of, contactkaede@yahoo.com? Or keep it as it is?

Review also found: Goodreads



5 comments:

  1. I need to read this! UGH how dare you get it already!!!! >:(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I must resist the urge to laugh in triumph to your face...

      RESIST KAEDE. RESIST.

      Did you know, dearest friend, that resisting is very hard?

      Speechless was really good, you should buy it soon. I get very hesitant to give out five stars, least they lose their worth, but I couldn't resist. Speechless just demanding five stars.

      I'm realizing that I suck at resisting.

      Pfft. *shakes head and walks to corner of shame*

      Delete